Building Immunity to Fight Off Illnesses
When our body is exposed to harmful pathogens that can cause diseases, it is our immune system that protects our body and keeps us from being ill. A strong immune system helps us combat illness for us to stay healthy. Building a strong immune system is one of the common health topics in America. A lot of healthcare professionals and health coaches advocate for a strong immune system. There are different ways to build our immune system and ensure that our health is at its optimum. In this article, you will see why it is important to strengthen your immune system and find different ways to boost it while discussing various foods to eat. Here's how to build your immune system.
What Does Your Immune System Do?
The immune system is comprised of cells and tissues that work hand in hand to prevent your body from being susceptible to infection.
The immune system protects our bodies from pathogens and harmful substances that can get us sick.
A strong immune system depends on a lot of factors. Genetics, lifestyle, environment and nutrition all have a role in boosting the immune system. Addressing these factors can help in keeping your health in tip-top shape.
Why Should You Boost Your Immune System?
A boosted immune system can have many benefits for your body and your overall well-being. Some benefits include the following:
- Fight infections: A weak immune system will be prone to infections caused by viruses, bacteria and other harmful substances.
- Delay progression of chronic diseases: A weak immune system is always exposed to inflammation and stress, which can contribute to the occurrence of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease
- Boost energy levels: A boosted immune system can cause less fatigue and make you feel more energized.
- Optimum physical performance: A weak immune system can cause fatigue and lead you to be easily tired and not perform well physically.
- Promotes healthy aging: A weak immune system can contribute to age-related illnesses and cognitive decline.
How Do You Boost Your Immune System?
Many health coaches and gurus will tell you to take pills or supplements to boost your immune system. However, these are proven techniques on how to build your immune system.
Eat a Balanced Diet
As simple as it may sound, one of the best ways to strengthen your immune system is to have a well-rounded and healthy diet. A diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein can provide the essential nutrients your body needs to maintain a strong immune system. Foods for the immune system include bell peppers, raw mango, citrus fruits, garlic, ginger, leafy vegetables like spinach and fermented foods like yogurt. Studies have shown that these foods have properties that help build immunity.
Having Enough Sleep
A healthy immune system can be attained by getting enough sleep. Your body heals and rebuilds itself when you sleep. Cytokines, which are proteins that aid in the fight against infection and inflammation, are produced by the body while you sleep. Sleep deprivation can make you more susceptible to illness, so getting enough sleep each night is critical. Adults should get seven to eight hours of sleep each night.
When you exercise, not only does your immune system benefit, but your overall physical health improves as well. Unlike other body systems, the immune system is comprised of cells and tissues that circulate in the body to reach target organs that need their help and protection. Because of this, good blood flow and circulation are important for them to travel throughout the body quickly.
Exercise improves blood circulation and blood flow, which allows immune cells to travel throughout the body faster. Additionally, exercise regularly can aid in stress reduction. Stress is a well-known cause of weakened immune systems. Exercising regularly doesn’t have to be tiresome. Even light exercise, such as walking, can boost the immune system.
Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking lots of water will not only prevent dehydration, but it can also remove and flush toxins out of our bodies. You must drink at least eight glasses of water per day. If you are in a hot environment or are doing more physical activity, it is helpful to increase your water intake.
Drink Vitamins and Supplements
A lot of health gurus advertise overpriced supplements. However, studies show that vitamins and supplements can boost our immune system, and they don’t have to be expensive. Vitamins and supplements such as vitamin C, vitamin D, selenium and zinc can help boost the immune system. However, it is important to talk to your doctor before taking any supplements, as some may interact with medications or have negative side effects.
Lead a Healthy Lifestyle
Maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding smoking and drinking alcohol can boost your immune system. Obesity, smoking and alcohol consumption can weaken the immune system by increasing the inflammatory cells, which can harm the body.
There are many ways to boost your immune system. If you feel easily fatigued or are always sick, your immune system might need a boost. These remedies can help. However, if symptoms persist, you should check with your local doctor.
- The Strategy of Boosting the Immune System Under the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Feeding the immune system
- Boosting the Immune System, From Science to Myth: Analysis of the Infosphere With Google
- Strengthening the Immune System and Reducing Inflammation and Oxidative Stress through Diet and Nutrition: Considerations during the COVID-19 Crisis
- A Review on Measures to Rejuvenate Immune System: Natural Mode of Protection Against Coronavirus Infection
- Exploring the Immune-Boosting Functions of Vitamins and Minerals as Nutritional Food Bioactive Compounds: A Comprehensive Review
- Immune-boosting role of vitamins D, C, E, zinc, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids: Could they help against COVID-19?
- Exercise Regulates the Immune System